Compressed air is an increasingly common utility in workspaces around the world from factories to construction sites. Although it may seem easy to operate, compressed air can become dangerous if used incorrectly. Here’s what you need to know when it comes to safe operation.
Compressed air safety tips
- Schedule routine maintenance. Work with your compressed air manufacturer to schedule routine maintenance and set up systems that alert you when maintenance is required. Utilizing a remote monitoring system will keep you updated on how machines are performing and whether or not they need service.
- Check maximum pressure ratings on compressor parts. Pipes, hoses and fittings must have the same maximum pressure as the compressor.
- Keep shutoff valves within reach. In case anything goes wrong, workers should be able to immediately cut off the air source.
- Conduct employee training on equipment. All workers should be trained on equipment safety to reduce injuries and accidents on the job.
- Display equipment directions. Make sure compressor instructions are visible for all personnel to reference.
- Wear appropriate protective gear. Safety goggles, ear protection and other appropriate protective gear should be worn when working with compressed air.
- Locate equipment in visible areas. Compressors should be located in an area that’s visible and easy to access for monitoring and maintenance needs.
It’s always best to consult a compressed air expert when it comes to the safe operation of your compressed air system. For more information or questions concerning compressed air safety, please reach out to an Atlas Copco expert.
Text taken from Atlas Copco’s Compressed Air Blog. Copyright Atlas Copco. Used with permission.
Air Compressor Services at A10
Committed to providing leading technology of the highest quality, A10 Compressed Air Services is the authorized distributor for Atlas Copco air compressors in South Carolina. A world-leading provider of sustainable productivity solutions, Atlas Copco provides air compressors, vacuum pumps, air treatment systems, air blowers and more – all designed to maximize a company’s efficiency and productivity.
For more information, Call (864) 605-7792 or email email@example.com.